My opinion of the acting schools I've attended so far..

      
The first class I went to was Michigan Actors Studio in Ferndale. We worked on theater games and were each given a monologue to work on for the "semester" and we had the same monologue every week. This was Acting 1 (I think, beginners class) and since i've had some experience before this, I wasn't as happy because I was past this point. I do wish we were able to pick our own monologues.

The teacher was a great guy and I think they just need to tweek that class alittle bit. I would have loved some feedback. Here, It is all about who teaches your class and they do have great teachers. You just have to find the right one. My friend took the second class at MAS and it was more geared toward commercials and industrial videos. That is great because if we lose the incentive, this is what is going to pay our bills as actors.

 My second class that I am currently taking is at The Actors Workshop in Royal Oak and I love it. We do relaxation techniques and repetition, a exercise to be able to respond to the emotions of the other actors quickly. I needed the relaxation exercises as I am a hyper girl! We then do a few improv scenes and move onto 2 person scenes that we take home and memorize. I like that at this school you are working quickly. They also have a Saturday class that you can  drop in on for free if you are signed up with another class. It does seem to be centered a lot on theater but that is just my opinion. You should take theater classes if you want to be well rounded as an actor. This class is a lot of fun and I am learning a lot. Brian and Aida make you feel comfortable right off the bat and are great to work with. I am looking forward to the more advance classes.

Then we have Chris Bondy at the Dramatic Arts Studio in Ferndale. Chris Bondy is a no-nonsense teacher who tells you how it is. He is very outgoing and will say just about anything, just like me! He is a total sweetheart and takes a personal interest in each student. I thoroughly love his class and will definitely be taking the next session. Be ready to work hard! I have just started these classes except for the one at Michigan Actors Studio. Beware...if you don't like outgoing, funny, quirky and spontaneous teachers, go somewhere else. But you will be missing out on the best. I will let you know at the end of the class what i think!

I have not tried the Actor's Loft but i might sit in on a class....

NOTE: These are all my observation's and they could be wrong or just not your opinion, if you have any questions, just leave a comment and I will get back to you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marine Lance Cpl. Scott E. Dougherty: Died July 6, 2004 serving during Operation Iraqi Freedom

On Set.... Detroit 187-How I got invited to the Wrap party.....

I'll get you my pretty...