I'll get you my pretty...

Witchcraft, Wicca, Devil worship, old crones eating babies, hexes and that Voo-Doo-that-you-do-so-well, you and I have been conditioned to think these things when you hear the word Witch and now according to The Guardian, young women everywhere are flocking to witchcraft. Lock up your virgin’s! Witches are on the loose. But this isn’t your great-great-great-great- grandmothers witchcraft, or is it?

           Image courtesy of Tom Mc Nemar Photography, copyright www.tommcnemar.com

Every generation or so you hear about a resurgence in interest in the natural spiritual arts, whether it is witchcraft, Wicca, Shamanism or tree hugging. It is not a true resurgence according to Sandra Stevens, owner of At Mystic Mountain in Royal Oak, Michigan, but people feeling more comfortable to come out of the closet about their beliefs.  Practitioners of Witchcraft have been persecuted for centuries and still are in less educated and more superstitious parts of the world.

 “People are not more interested in Witchcraft now than they have before, it is just more acceptable for people to say they are a Witch. People aren’t as afraid.” Sandra Stevens said.


Steven Meisel for W Magazine
Witchcraft and Wicca are two entirely different entities even though in this day and age they have been made to be interchangeable. Wicca is the relatively new religion descended from shamanic rites and Witchcraft is the practical practice of magic. You can be a Witch and also be a Christian, Muslim or Buddhist, no matter what they say, I promise you, you will not be struck down by lightening if you practice witchcraft and enter a church. Of course, it would make an interesting story.

Wicca, the pagan religion was founded by Gerald Gardner, a British author in the 1940’s who took ideas from an ancient pre-Christian Witch-Cult, Freemasonry and the writings of Aleister Crowley to form the Gardnerian tradition of Wicca.

Witches use herbs, crystals, and oils to incorporate into their magic rituals whether it is a protection spell to ward off bad intentions or a luck spell. I tried to find a witch that ate babies and sacrificed virgins but le sigh, not a baby-eating witch was to be found. But I did find a card-carrying, real life witch, psychic and actor, Kevin Allen.


http://galadarling.com/article/house-witchery-13-easy-ways-to-infuse-your-home-with-magic-and-attract-more-of-what-you-want/
Allen owned Mystic Curios, a new age store in Harrison Township, Michigan until the death of his co-owner in 2014 and now reads Tarot cards above B&B Collision and shares space with The Actors Loft.

In 2007, East Point, Michigan Detective Derek McLaughlin contacted Allen about a cold case he was working on. Cindy Zarzycki was 13-years-old when she went missing in 1986. She was meeting a love interest at the local Dairy Queen in East Point and was never seen again.

“Det. McLaughlin contacted me about this girl who had gone missing like 22 years earlier, so I sat him down and started to flip the cards. I told him she died a brutal death, then I flipped over the seeker card next and told him you have been looking for her for a long time.” Allen said.  “I told him the killer was currently incarcerated and you will be seeing this guy in the next few weeks. Flipping more cards I saw that she was buried by a river, close to a bridge and by a big field of purple flowers. I was right,” Allen said.

Cindy Zarzycki
Allen and his experience aired on Dateline NBC in 2010 and I knew he was the real deal after hearing this. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, Allen does not eat babies and refused to eat me. He said he doesn’t like fish and promised to tell me where he buries the bodies he uses for his nepharious rites, If he ever does one. My last question in a string of interrogative type questions was prompted by the hit TV show Salem that airs on WGN America, Season 2 this Sunday at 9 p.m EST.

 I asked Allen, “Where is your witches mark, you know where you suckle your familiar?”
Allen laughed his deep baritone laugh reminiscent of the Cowardly Lion in the Wizard of Oz and said, “Actually, I have a tiny dot tattooed on my left ring finger from the first coven I was in. I was the only guy in a coven full of older ladies with beards. It isn’t like how they portray it on TV with nimble young girls getting naked and dancing around a bonfire.”

I begged for a tarot reading and let's say he was right, very right, so right that I just might flock to my nearest new age store.

Photo of Kevin Allen courtesy of Madic Montague
To set up a reading contact Kevin Allen at 1-586-954-9639, email questions to
Kvnallen@aol.com. Allen does not set up appointments by email.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marine Lance Cpl. Scott E. Dougherty: Died July 6, 2004 serving during Operation Iraqi Freedom

Acting Schools and Private Coaches: THE list